Changing the program language

Home Forums Languages Changing the program language

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SiliconBenders 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

e14n
    Participant

Hello!

I’m very interested in Sketchable, but there is one serious issue that prevents me from buying it:
    The German translation is bad, right now it’s missing translations, so some strings are in English and some in German. Some translations are just bad, but it was abysmal two weeks ago, so there is some progress, but I would prefer for it to just use English.

Sadly for some reason it thinks my System language is German, which is not the case.

So, how can I make Sketchable use my system language or change the UI language?

SiliconBenders
    Keymaster

You can select the system language in “Control Panel->Clock, Language, and Region->Language”. Here you can add, remove, and rank your desired languages. If you have multiple languages selected, you can toggle which one is selected on taskbar, next to the date & time. Each App will use the top ranked language you have on your list and that it supports.

This is the language that Sketchable should be using. It would be great to better understand your issue and get your feedback on the translations. If you reach out to our support email, we could discuss this in more detail.

e14n
    Participant

The display language is set to English. That is what I wrote above.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

e14n
    Participant

Not interested?

SiliconBenders
    Keymaster

Sorry for the delayed response. To help us communicate this issue to Microsoft, it would be great to get a couple more details. What version of Windows are you using and on what device? If you are more comfortable sharing these details privately, you can email “support @ Siliconbenders.com”

e14n
    Participant

Its a Lenovo Miix 510 running Windows 10 Home v1607

So you imply that it’s a Universal App issue?

SiliconBenders
    Keymaster

With UWP apps you can internationalize languages with the “multi lingual app toolkit”. Then when you submit the app to the store it will ask what languages you support. If the app supports a users selected display language, it should use that. Your problem might stem from you keyboard layout still being in German and it displaying that instead. However, I do not know for certain. I will look into this problem and try to improve the German translations.

e14n
    Participant

That would be very weird behaviour, as the keyboard layout of a connected keyboard has absolutely nothing to do with the display language.

I will try completely removing the German language pack, as I don’t need it and see how that affects things. It could be that until now I’ve only installed Apps from the Windows Store that don’t support German.

Out of interest I’ll also try setting the keyboard language to UK or US, I’m really curious about that now

e14n
    Participant

Changing the keyboard layout did not help at all, but actually removing the German language pack did. So I managed to get the Application in English, and thought I’d just buy it right away to get it over with, but I can’t buy it, because it wants me to provide a UK address, which I don’t have, since I live in Austria.

Will I even be able to use the premium features if I buy it after setting the location to Austria, then change the system language settings back to UK?

This has got to be one of the worst buying experiences I have ever had. It’s not your fault mind you, but Microsoft’s crappy handling of localisation.

I’m not sure whether its funny or sad (probably both) but Microsofts dogged pursuit of localisation (of course including prices) makes everything a complete PitA as soon as you do not fall in the Norm – Or if you just want to play a game or watch a movie the way it was designed instead of listening to terribly localised audio vocalised from a badly translated script by some producer that is not even remotely interested in the product and is employing untalented actors to keep the production costs down.

The ridiculous result is that pirating software and media is not just cheaper but a lot less effort, I want to give you money for your work, why does it have to be annoying and time-consuming?

SiliconBenders
    Keymaster

I am sorry to say that your purchasing process has been one of the more trying cases I have seen. Your current issue is that in order to make a purchase though the store, your billing address has to match the country and region in your settings (Settings -> Time & Language -> Region & Language -> The top drop down box). Matching these should sort out the purchasing issue. Thanks for sticking with us through this. I hope that we can get the premium features to you without further problems.

e14n
    Participant

I’m happy to report, that the purchase was possible with region set to Austria while keeping the English language pack, and the application language even stuck to English (for now ;))

Thank you for your patience!

(And sorry for my rant above)

SiliconBenders
    Keymaster

Fantastic, I am glad it has all worked out. I hope you enjoy all the premium features.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.